How to make Homemade Kimchi.
INGREDIENTS: Makes 1 litre Jar
- 1 Chinese leaf cabbage weighing about 1-2lb
- 50g sea salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tsp fish sauce
- 6 tbsp Korean chilli powder (Gochugaru)
- a bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated or cut into thin matchsticks
- 3-4 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- Quarter the cabbage lengthwise and shred.
- Place it in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt.
- Massage the salt into the cabbage using your hands.
- Cover with cold water and weigh the cabbage down with an inverted plate.
- Leave at room temperature overnight.
- The next day lift the cabbage out of the water with a slotted spoon or your hands and transfer to another large bowl, keep the brine.
- Make a paste from the chilli powder, soy sauce and the fish sauce and add to the cabbage with all the other ingredients.
- Mix very well, again best if using your hands.
- Prepare a 1 litre glass jar with a good lid or a hard plastic tub by rinsing it with boiling water.
- Pack the cabbage mix into the jar or tub, pressing down well, pour in a little of the brine to immerse the vegetables.
- Close the container and leave in a cool place (room temperature is fine, as long as it’s not too hot) for three to four days before the first tasting.
- Once it’s to your liking, keep the rest in the fridge.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]