How to make Hake with Cider.
Ingredients: 4 Servings
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 crisp apple Granny Smith
- 7 garlic cloves crushed to a paste
- 2 dried cayenne peppers
- 1.5 cups of peeled and chopped tomatoes about 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1.5 cups of hard Spanish cider dry style cider
- Salt to taste
- 4 6- ounce pieces of hake
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Add about two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a heavy skillet-cast iron is perfect. Heat to medium and add the chopped onion. Fry until translucent and just starting to color (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic paste and dried cayenne peppers and sauté for about a minute.
- Add the tomato, tomato paste and sugar and lower to a light simmer, stirring every few minutes until the liquid from the tomatoes has reduced about halfway.
- Add the cider and bring to a bubbling simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Season the hake with salt and dredge in flour. Fry in a pan of hot olive oil (it should be as hot as possible without smoking to allow for a good sear). You don’t ned to fully cook the filets if they’re thick-just make sure to sear well on both sides.
- Add the fish to the cider sauce, and cook at a slow simmer for another five minutes.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread or homemade potatoes.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.