How to make a Gullah Red Rice.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1 lb long grain rice
- 12 oz smoked sausage, sliced into ½¨ rounds
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 28 oz stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- ½ cups thinly sliced scallion greens, for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven with one of its racks positioned in the center to 350F.
- Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then place the dish on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Drain well, then transfer the rice to a medium bowl and set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the chicken stock and whisk in the tomato paste, then set aside.
- To a large heavy pot set over medium heat, add the sausages and fry, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides and the fat has rendered, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, leaving the fat behind.
- To the same pot, still medium heat, add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the peppers have softened, 4–5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, sugar, Worcestershire, black pepper, cayenne and the reserved sausage.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, and using a spoon to break up the tomatoes, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and the chicken stock mixture, then turn the heat to medium-high to bring to a full boil.
- Lower the heat to maintain a simmer, then cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat, then carefully ladle the rice mixture to the reserved baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, then transfer the pan, still on the baking sheet, to the oven.
- Bake until the rice is tender, for about 30–35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and uncover.
- Fluff with a fork, garnish with the sliced scallion greens and serve.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]