How to make Grilled Sardines and Green Peppers.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 4 large, plump sardines, butterflied, backbone removed, and pinboned
- 2 green peppers
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Flaky sea salt
- Ground white pepper
- A small bunch of cilantro, leaves finely chopped and stalks reserved
- A small bunch of parsley, leaves finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 strips lemon zest 4 strips lime zest
- Toasted bread, to serve
- Put the onion in a small bowl with a pinch of sea salt, add water to cover, and leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Mix together the cilantro and parsley leaves and lemon zest with a generous pinch of salt and white pepper.
- Stir in the extra- virgin olive oil until you have a paste.
- Pre-heat the broiler to high, then broil the peppers until the skin is blackened all over, turning them a couple of times.
- Transfer to a container and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Once cooled, peel, seed, and thinly slice the peppers.
- Drain the onions and mix them with the peppers, white wine vinegar, and a few tablespoons of the herb paste.
- Leave to marinate until you are ready to serve.
- Gently open the sardines and stuff them with the bay leaves, lemon and lime zest, and chopped cilantro stalks, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Brush the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp on the outside and cooked through.
- Spoon some of the herb paste onto the toasted bread and top with a sardine, then add more paste.
- Serve the peppers on the side.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.