How to make Green Beans in Tomato Sauce.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 kg green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 2/3 potatoes, cut into large wedges
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and crushed
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly cut parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large cooking pot.
- Add the onion, garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft but hasn’t gone brown.
- Add the beans and potatoes and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in a cup of water.
- Add to the casserole the dissolved paste, the crushed tomatoes and parsley.
- Season and add ½ cup water.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for about an hour.
- Give it a look now and then in order to check the liquids.
- Don’t let it go dry.
- After an hour the beans should be tender but not mushy.
- If the liquids are too much, let the casserole with no lid for 5 minutes on the heat in order to reduce them.
- This dish can be served at any time, if it has cooled it’s even better.
- Traditionally it is served with feta cheese and bread.