How to make Greek Style Butter Beans.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 400 g dried giant beans
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp concentrated tomato paste/pureé
- 800 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp honey or sugar
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- couple of pinches of ground cinnamon
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water.
- Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Place in a large pan covered with fresh water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then simmer gently for 50-60 minutes, until the beans are tender but not too soft.
- Drain once the beans are cooked.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion and fry for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for another 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato puree and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the beans) and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season generously with honey or sugar, oregano, salt and pepper, then tip in the drained cooked beans.
- Transfer the mixture into a large ovenproof dish and bake for approximately one hour.
- Don’t cover and don’t stir.
- The dish is ready when the tomato sauce has thickened and the beans are soft and flavoursome.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down a little.
- Scatter the parsley on top and drizzle with some extra olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]