How to make Greek Stuffed Zucchinis.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4 large zucchinis
- ½ kg ground beef
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 teaspoon spearmint
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 beef cube
- 2 large eggs
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cut the zucchini into halves, cored on one end having the other end left intact.
- Remove the filling carefully with a corer – a teaspoon could do the job too, in order that a wall of zucchini, neither thick nor too slim remains to contain the filling.
- Prepare the filling by mixing the ground meat with the rice, the onion, spearmint, parsley, a couple of spoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff this mixture into each zucchini piece so that the filling goes all the way into it.
- Level the opening nicely, you don’t want the filling to come out.
- Layer the filled zucchinis in a big pot and add enough hot water to cover.
- Add to the stock, the beef cube and the remaining olive oil and cover.
- Simmer for about 1 hour.
- When the zucchinis are tender, take off the heat.
- Remove carefully the zucchinis and keep the remaining liquid in the pot.
- Separate yolks from whites.
- In a larger bowl whisk thoroughly the whites until they become stiff.
- Continue whisking and add the yolks.
- Once well combined, add the cornstarch and lemon.
- Whisk a little more.
- Very slowly and carefully ladle the whisked eggs in the pot.
- While doing this, whisk the liquid as the eggs are being mixed with it.
- The whole process needs the utmost attention as you don’t want the eggs to curdle.
- Replace the zucchinis in the liquid and leave for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.