How to make Greek Meatballs In Tomato Sauce.
Soutzoukakia is one of the most appreciated dishes in Greece. They are fluffy meatballs flavoured with cumin and cooked in a rich tomato sauce, and served with rice, which is the traditional way.
Ingredients: Serves 4
For the meatballs:
- 500 g fresh ground beef
- 3 slices stale bread without the crust
- 40 g extra virgin olive oil + more for frying
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 large egg
- Flour for the frying procedure
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 kg crushed tomatoes (keep the juices)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- Put the bread slices in a bowl and pour over the milk.
- Leave it to rest for a few minutes.
- Take the slices and squeeze until most of the milk has been reduced.
- Rub the bread with hands in order to shape it into small crumbles.
- Place the meat in large bowl.
- Add crumbled bread, egg, olive oil, garlic, spices, salt, pepper and mix with hands until all ingredients are well combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce.
- In a large pan heat some olive oil.
- Sauté the onion for a few minutes until it softens and becomes light brown.
- Add tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, salt, pepper, spices and cook.
- Take the ground meat mixture out of the fridge.
- Form it into small cylinders.
- Pamper lightly with flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the meatballs on all sides.
- Once all the meatballs are ready, place them gently in the tomato sauce and cook until tomato sauce has thickened.
- Serve with rice, which is the traditional way, or mashed potatoes if you prefer.