How to make Greek Manestra.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz orzo pasta
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Brown the beef in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, for about 6 minutes, breaking up the the beef as it cooks.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cinnamon, oregano, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Cook while stirring until well mixed and the tomato paste starts to brown, for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release any stuck on bits.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the orzo and place the lid back on the pot.
- Simmer on low heat until the orzo is tender, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]