How to make a Greek Lentil and Spinach Soup.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 8-10
- 1 lb brown or large green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 10 oz baby spinach, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (red or yellow)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 10 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground fresh pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 lemons
- Rinse lentils and remove any skins or discoloured lentils.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, combine the lentils, vegetable broth (or water), jalapeño pepper, coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric, oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, partly covered for 30 minutes.
- Test the lentils as they should be soft after 30 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, potatoes and spinach and cook over low heat another 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Cook the onion, celery and garlic over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the onion mixture to the soup and stir it into the soup.
- Add ½ cup of water to the skillet to deglaze and add this liquid to the soup.
- Add in the salt and pepper and test for flavour.
- Add in ⅓ cup lemon juice and stir well to combine.
- Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]