How to make a Goan Chicken Curry.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 1 kilogram chicken breast (cut in bite size pieces)
- 1 large onion (chopped fine)
- 1 tablespoon ginger/garlic paste
- 3 medium potatoes (cut in cubes)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped fine)
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 1 – 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk – Optional
Masala Ingredients (to grind):
- 5 red chillies (de-seeded)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 5 cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 5 peppercorn
- Prepare your ingredients and spices before you begin, to save time whilst cooking.
- Marinate the chicken for half hour with the ginger/garlic paste and one teaspoon salt.
- Grind the masala ingredients to fine powder.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, and saute the onions.
- Once the onions start to brown, add in the ground masala and fry for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes next, along with the chicken stock cube.
- Add the chicken next and fry for a few minutes, so that the spice mix coats the chicken well.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan and mix well.
- Add the potatoes to the curry mix.
- Cover and let cook until the potatoes are done.
- Add the vinegar and sugar just a couple minutes before the curry is done.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the coconut milk before the vinegar and sugar if you decide you want to use it.
- Mix well, and then follow with the vinegar and sugar.
- Serve with steamed rice or bread.