How to make General Tso’s Chicken.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, ground ginger, red pepper flakes and 2 tsp of cornstarch.
- Set aside.
- In a large ziplock bag combine the flour, 3/4 cup of cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Shake the bag to mix the ingredients well.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the cubed chicken and beaten egg whites.
- Give the chicken a good toss to coat it evenly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1/2 cup of oil.
- With a large slotted spoon scoop up chicken pieces and allow egg whites to drip off, then drop chicken into ziplock bag.
- Shake chicken until evenly coated.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the chicken in batches until golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the fried chicken and place on a sheet pan covered in paper towels.
- Once all the chicken has been fried, wipe the skillet out with a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet and simmer until it starts to thicken.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and toss to coat all the chicken evenly in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with white or brown rice and garnish with green onions.