How to make Fried Eggplants with Rice and Tomatoes.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2 eggplants
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced into 12 slices)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil (plus more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Rinse the eggplants, cut off stems and cut in half lengthwise.
- Sprinkle with salt liberally and set aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant halves, two at a time, on both sides, turning about every 30 seconds, until dark golden brown.
- Add more oil as you are frying the eggplant as they tend to soak it in.
- You want the frying pan to have some oil on the bottom.
- If you see that it looks dry, it’s a good time to add a little more oil.
- Remove the eggplant from the frying pan and transfer to a baking sheet or a baking dish, cut side up.
- Sprinkle some more salt over the top of the eggplant halves.
- If you don’t they will taste a little under-salted.
- In the same frying pan, brown the onion over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the rice, parsley, tomato paste and stir well.
- Cook for another minute frequently stirring.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool down.
- Spread rice and onion mixture over the eggplant pieces, pressing down gently to make it stick.
- Top each fried eggplant half with 3 tomato slices.
- Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.
- Transfer the eggplant into oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with some more olive oil, and sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and/or coriander and serve.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.