How to make a Fresh Strawberry Pie.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 8
- A 9 inch deep dish pie crust homemade or store bought
- 10 cups fresh strawberries sliced/halved
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons corn starch, start with two add the other if not thick enough
- ¾ cup water
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla use pure extract
- Puree 1 and ½ cups of fresh strawberries in a food processor or mash by hand.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch, then add the strawberry puree and water.
- Bring the mixture to a light simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat slightly and cook for 2-3 more minutes until the strawberry mixture thickens and is translucent in colour.
- Reserve the glaze and let cool until room temperature.
- If you want a red glaze add 2 drops of red food colouring to the mixture.
- Place the pie crust into a deep dish pie pan, trimming any excess off the edges.
- Use aluminum foil to cover the edges to prevent burning.
- Bake at 375 F until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pie shell from the oven and cool completely for about 1 hour before filling.
- Meanwhile, cut the strawberries in halves or even thirds and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the homemade strawberry glaze and gently combine it with a rubber spatula until all the strawberries are evenly coated.
- Next fill the cooled pie crust with the strawberry pie filling.
- If you would like a better presentation, you can arrange the strawberries in the pie shell first, then spoon the glaze over the top.
- Chill the fresh strawberry pie for around 4 hours or until set.
- Make the homemade whipped cream by beating the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a mixer until smooth, thick, and nearly doubled in volume, forming peaks.
- Serve with the fresh whipped cream and enjoy!