How to make a Fresh Seafood Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1/2 lb small fresh clams in shells, washed
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cod or halibut filet, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb uncooked, peeled, deveined medium shrimp
- 1 small whole crab, cleaned and cracked into small pieces or 1 lb crab legs
- 1 lb fresh calamari, cleaned, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon achiote
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads (1 g)
- 2 cartons (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro sprigs
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped, if desired
- Lime wedges, if desired
- In an 8 quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook celery, onions and garlic until onions are soft.
- Stir in saffron and achiote until well blended.
- Add chicken broth, salt and cilantro sprigs; heat to boiling point.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return to boiling point.
- Discard any broken shells or open (dead) clams that do not close when tapped.
- Stir clams and cod into broth mixture.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes or until clams open and fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Stir in shrimp and calamari.
- Then simmer until shrimp is pink and calamari are tender, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in crab.
- Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Discard any unopened clams.
- Ladle each serving in a bowl and sprinkle with fresh cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread to dip into the delicious broth and enjoy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.