How to make Flamenco Style Eggs.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4 eggs
- 12 slices chorizo sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 80 g serrano ham, chopped
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 8 large tomatoes (about 750g), skinned and chopped, or 2 x 400g tins of peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 75 g peas, cooked
- 100 g fine green beans, blanched
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), roasted and skinned, cut into 8 strips (or use peppers from a jar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the griddled bread:
- 4–8 thick slices bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 30 ml olive oil
- small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or shallow casserole dish over medium-low heat and cook the onion and garlic until soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the ham and the hot smoked paprika, fry for 3 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cover the pan and cook until the tomatoes are reduced and pulpy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- Grease a large oven-proof dish or shallow casserole dish and pour in the tomato sauce.
- Scatter over the peas and green beans.
- Break the eggs into the sauce.
- Arrange the chorizo slices around the eggs and the red pepper strips over and around the eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the egg whites are set and the yolks still soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub the bread with the garlic, brush with the olive oil and griddle it on a ridged pan or in a frying pan.
- Scatter the chopped parsley over the dish and serve with griddled bread.