How to make a Fish Caldine.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 1/2 kilogram fish (Tilapia, Silver Pomfret, etc)
- 1 onion (sliced fine)
- 1 tomato (cut in small chunks)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
- 2 fresh chillies (slit in half)
- 1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1″ ball of tamarind (soak in 1/2 cup hot water)
- 1 – 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- salt to taste
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Clean, cut and wash the fish.
- Apply one teaspoon of salt and keep aside.
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients and spices before you begin, to save time whilst cooking.
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and chop the garlic cloves into fine pieces.
- Grind the masala ingredients into a fine powder.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil to a hot pan.
- Add the onions and chillies and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and garlic to the pan once the onion starts to change colour.
- Fry until the tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Add the ground spices to the pan.
- Add the tamarind pulp too and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the can of coconut milk to the pan and bring to a rolling boil while mixing well.
- Taste for salt, and add some if required.
- Note – The fish also has salt on it so do not add too much salt at this time.
- Lower the heat and add the fish to the pan.
- Cover and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip the fish over and cook without covering for another 5-10 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.