How to make a Fiery Lamb and Spinach Curry.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 900g/2lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cubed
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 6 dried red chillies
- 2 onions, peeled & halved
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml water
- 6 fresh red chillies, split lengthways
- 85g/3oz fresh baby spinach
- Drizzle of Natural Yogurt
- 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
- Put the chillies in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak and rehydrate for 10-20 minutes.
- Put the onion, ginger, garlic and soaked chillies into the bowl of a food processor and whizz together until you have a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large pan then add the onion mixture and cook for roughly 10 minutes until just turning golden.
- Add the coriander, cumin, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper and cinnamon sticks and stir well so everything is mixed together.
- Leave to cook for another minute or so, then add the lamb and stir well so its coated in the spice mixture.
- Cook until the lamb has browned on all sides then add the tomatoes, tomato puree, water, salt and pepper and the 6 split chillies.
- Bring to a simmer then cover with a lid and put in the oven for 2 hours until the lamb is tender (alternatively you can continue to cook it gently on the stove top for the same amount of time, stirring from time to time to make sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom).
- Remove from the oven and taste to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Add the spinach and cover with the lid again so that it wilts – this will only take a minute or two.
- Remove the lid and stir the spinach into the curry, then serve at once, drizzled with a little of the natural yogurt over the top, a sprinkling of fresh coriander and the freshly chopped chilli.
- Serve with some Basmati rice, Naan bread and some extra natural yogurt mixed with some finely chopped fresh mint.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.