How to make an Ethiopian Lentil Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 cup dry lentils soaked for 2 hours
- 2 Tablespoons Spiced butter or Coconut oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons berbere spice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander or cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 2 cups or more Vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons or more chopped parsley/cilantro
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat up a large saucepan with oil and spiced butter.
- Then add the onions, berbere spice, garlic, ginger, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Stir occasionally for about 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Then add the soaked lentils and the tomato paste.
- Stir and sauté for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the stock.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer until the sauce thickens, it might take about 30 minutes or depending on how you like your lentils.
- Throw in some parsley, adjust for salt, pepper and stew consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!