How to make Enchilada Sauce.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour (all purpose / plain)
- 700 g / 24oz tomato passata (1 bottle) or 16 oz (2 cans) US tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium (or vegetable broth, or water + bouillon cube)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional extras: cayenne pepper (for spiciness), ground chipotle
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and pepper, whisk, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or so, until thickened, whisking occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- This can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It also freezes well.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.