How to make Eggs Benedict and Ham.
Ingredients: Serves 2
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 75g/3oz butter, melted
- 2 large egg yolks
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices ham
- toasted muffins to serve
- Make the sauce by placing the vinegar in a small pan and simmer until reduced by half.
- Place the egg yolks and vinegar in a small heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Whisk the yolks until the mixture is thick enough to leave a ribbon trail when the whisk is lifted.
- Gradually whisk in the butter until the mixture has thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- To complete, pour 5cm/2in water in a large frying pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Carefully crack the eggs into the water and simmer for 2-3 mins or until the eggs are poached to your liking.
- Place 2 pieces of toasted muffins on each plate, top with the slices of ham, then place a poached egg on top.
- Spoon a little of the sauce over each and serve.