How to make a Dutch Oven Vegetable Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
For the Stew Base:
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (59 ml)
For the Vegetable Stew:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced (125 g)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup red wine (118 ml)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (700 ml)
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with juice (425 g)
- 8 oz tomato sauce (238 ml)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen green peas (142 g)
For the Slurry:
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, add the diced onion, carrot, celery and ¼ cup vegetable broth.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring regularly until the onions are translucent.
- To the pot, add the remaining chopped onion and mushrooms.
- Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until the mushrooms are just beginning to soften.
- Add in the rosemary and Italian seasoning and stir.
- Cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the red wine (or ½ cup broth) and now use the wooden spoon to remove any cooked bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Then bring the stew to a simmer.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- To the Dutch oven, add the remaining carrots and celery.
- Next, add the cubed potatoes, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Add the peas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to create a slurry, then add to the pan and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender and the stew has thickened nicely.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh parsley over the top.