How to make a Dominican Style Soup.
Ingredients: Serves 8-10
- 1lb of beef, cubed for stewing
- 1 1/2lb of chicken drumettes
- 1 smoked hamhock
- 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoons of paprika
- 4 tablespoons of salt
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- 1 tablespoon of Adobo
- 2 firm, yellow plantains
- 2 white yams
- 1 chayote
- 1 white sweet potato
- 1/2 small pumpkin
- 15 chilli piquins
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 6 cups of water
- Place the beef into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice of half of the lime over the beef.
- Peel and mince the garlic cloves and add them into the bowl with the beef.
- Chop a 1/4 cup of fresh parsley and add it into the bowl with the beef as well and stir.
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap or foil and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Empty the chicken into a separate bowl and squeeze the remaining half of lime over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the Adobo, paprika, and two tablespoons of salt over the chicken, stir, and then set the chicken aside.
- Peel the sweet potato, yams, chayote, and plantain, cut them into medium sized chunks, and set them aside.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, clean out the seeds, remove the skin, and cut the pumpkin into medium sized chunks.
- In a large cast iron pot, bring the oil to a medium-high heat.
- Remove the beef from the refrigerator and put the beef in the cast iron pot.
- Brown the beef for 2-3 minutes, then turn the stove down to a medium heat, cover the cast iron pot and allow the beef to cook for 12-13 more minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of broth or water if necessary to make sure that the beef does not burn.
- After 15 minutes has passed, add the chicken drumettes into the cast iron pan.
- Stir the chicken and beef together, then cover the cast iron pan and allow the chicken to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the water, smoked hamhock and chicken broth to the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn the stove down to a medium heat and add the yams, sweet potato, and chayote.
- Stir the soup, cover it, and allow it to cook for 15 minutes.
- Be sure to stir the soup occassionally and leave the pot cover slightly lifted so that the soup does not bubble out of the pot and onto the stove.
- After 15 minutes have passed, add the pumpkin and plantain to the soup.
- Stir the soup a few times, cover the pot, and allow the soup to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the chilli piquins and allow the soup to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Optional: Add in one tablespoon of salt.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]