How to make Curried Shrimp.
Ingredients: Serves 1-2
- 1lb of large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 teaspoon of iodized salt
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 small white onion
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1 cup of seafood or vegetable broth
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 1 scallion stalk (optional, for garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon of canola oil
- Place the shrimp into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt, black pepper, lime juice, cayenne and parsley.
- Give everything a stir and then set the bowl aside.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Stir the equivalent of four garlic cloves to the bowl with the shrimp and reserve the rest of the garlic.
- Then, peel and thinly slice the onion and set it aside with the reserved garlic.
- Bring a large, deep skillet to a medium heat and add in the canola oil.
- Lightly sauté the onion and reserved garlic in the oil.
- Do not brown the onion and garlic.
- Just sauté it enough that it becomes fragrant and the onion slices become translucent.
- This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the skillet.
- Use a spoon to smear the the tomato paste around the pan and stir it into the onions and garlic.
- Then, stir in the curry powder and toss in the sprigs of thyme.
- Once the curry powder has been evenly distributed in the skillet, pour in the broth and give everything a good stir.
- Allow the curry sauce to come to a simmer, then stir in the shrimp and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Cover the skillet and allow the shrimp to simmer in the sauce for about 4-6 minutes.
- While the shrimp is cooking, chop the scallion into rounds for use as garnish.
- Serve the shrimp over a bed a white rice, sprinkle with scallion and enjoy.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.