How to make a Croatian Pot Roast Beef.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 1.5kg silverside beef joint
- 4 halved garlic cloves
- 50g smoked bacon bits
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 125ml olive oil
- 3 onions, quartered
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 750ml red wine
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into 8
- 8 prunes
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Pierce the meat with a sharp knife, and push in the garlic slices and bacon bits.
- Put the beef in a dish, pour the balsamic all over, and cover.
- Leave in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Season the beef well, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a lidded casserole pot and brown the beef joint all over.
- Add the remaining oil, the celery, onions, carrots and wine.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and transfer to the oven for an hour.
- Remove from the oven, add the apples, tomatoes, prunes, some sugar, and the herbs.
- Return to the oven for another hour with the lid on, until everything is tender.
- Remove the meat, vegetables, and fruit from the sauce and keep warm, then heat the sauce to reduce to a thicker consistency.
- Carve the meat, and pour over the sauce to serve.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.