How to make a Cold Tomato and Bread Salad.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2 thick slices rustic bread
- 6 tablespoons Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon sweet Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup quartered green olives
- Pre-heat oven to 450ºF.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and toss in a mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Spread the bread on a sheet pan and bake on the middle rack until golden brown, for about 5 minutes.
- Set the croutons aside to cool.
- Cut 4 of the tomatoes in half.
- Place a grater over a mixing bowl.
- Rub the cut surface of the tomatoes over the grater until all of the flesh is grated, discard the skin.
- Spoon the tomato pulp into a fine mesh strainer set over a large bowl.
- Allow the pulp to drain for 30 minutes.
- Reserve the drained pulp.
- Finely dice the remaining two tomatoes.
- Using a mortar and pestle, smash the garlic cloves together with the paprika, parsley and a pinch of salt to make a smooth paste.
- The salt stops the garlic from slipping at the bottom of the mortar as you pound it down.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the vinegar together in a small bowl then stir in the garlic-parsley paste.
- To serve, combine the croutons, peppers, diced tomatoes, scallions and olives in a mixing bowl and toss together.
- Pour in the dressing and mix well.
- Spread the reserved tomato pulp on a serving platter and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Top with the bread salad and season to taste with salt.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]