How to make a Cod and Potato Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 pounds potatoes, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dry chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 whole, medium tomato
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sweet pimentón
- ½ teaspoon hot pimentón
- 1 cup sliced, cooked asparagus
- 1 egg
- Sprinkle the cod with salt and let stand at room temperature.
- Place the potatoes in a soup pot or deep skillet with the oil and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Tuck the bay leaf and chilli into the potatoes and add 2 teaspoons salt and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cut a small slit in one, unpeeled, clove of garlic and add it to the potatoes with tomato and onion.
- Cover and simmer the potatoes until almost tender, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and chilli.
- Skim out the clove of garlic and tomato.
- Remove skin from cooked garlic and tomato and place them in a blender with 1 clove peeled raw garlic, cumin, sweet pimentón, hot pimentón, and ½ cup of liquid from the potatoes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add this sauce to the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cod to the pot and cook until it just flakes, for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus.
- Raise the heat so the liquid bubbles.
- Break the egg into the pot.
- Use a fork to stir it into the cod and potatoes, for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow the stew to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve in shallow soup bowls with fresh crusty bread and enjoy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.