How to make a Coconut Layer Cake.
For the cake:
- 3 1/4 cups of flour
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups of canned coconut milk
- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of coconut extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cake pans
For the frosting:
- 12 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 lb of room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of coconut extract
- 1 lb of sifted powdered sugar
- 4 cups of sweetened shredded coconut
- green food colouring
- assorted candy and chocolates
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cream together in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk together the egg whites and shredded coconut in a separate bowl.
- Add in the coconut extract and then the egg whites and shredded coconut mixture in 3 batches into the butter-sugar mixture.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and add into the creamed butter-sugar mixture while alternating with the coconut milk but beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Be sure to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl often.
- Distribute the cake batter evenly into 3 Cake Pans.
- Bake the cake in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the center.
- Cool the cake pans on a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whip the butter and cream cheese in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add in the coconut extract and powdered sugar until completely mixed in.
- Toss together 1 1/2 cups of the shredded coconut and 4 to 6 drops of green food colouring in a slider bag until the coconut becomes green.
- Frost the cooled coconut cake in layers with a small amount of frosting.
- After each layer has been frosted, sprinkle on ½ cup of shredded coconut and press into the frosting before adding on the next layer of cake.
- Frost the entire outside and top of the cake and use the remaining shredded white coconut to coat the outside of the cake.
- Finish the top of the layered coconut cake by sprinkling on the green coconut shreds, but take care to not get any of the shreds around the outside.
- Garnish the top of the cake with assorted candy and chocolates.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.