How to make Chipotles in Adobo Sauce.
Ingredients: Makes 2-3 Cups
- 20 dried Chipotle Peppers, stems removed.
- 1 cup tomato puree or chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Place chipotle peppers in a bowl and cover the peppers with boiling water.
- Place a pot lid or plate on the surface to keep the peppers submerged.
- Leave them to soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain the peppers, reserving 1 cup of the soaking liquid.
- Combine 4-5 chipotles, 1 cup soaking liquid, tomato puree and honey in a blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onions, garlic, salt, pepper and spices until the onions are soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and the remaining whole chipotle peppers to the pan.
- Add the vinegar and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce has the consistency of a thick tomato sauce.
- If the sauce is too thick add a little more water, if the sauce is too thin cook a little longer.
- These will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator and the flavours will continue to develop or they can be frozen for long term storage.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.