How to make Chinese Salt and Pepper Squid.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
- 10 oz (330 g) cleaned squid tubes, cut into rings
- Oil, for deep frying
- 1/2 tablespoon oil, for stir-frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon chopped red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
FOR FRYING BATTER:
- 1/2 cup (65 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (65 g) corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- Pinch of salt
- Rinse the squid with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix all the ingredients for the frying batter until well combined.
- Add the squid to the frying batter and stir to coat well.
- To deep-fry the squid, heat 2 to 3 inches (5 – 7.5 cm) of the oil in a wok or a frying pan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Gently drop the squid into the oil and loosen them up immediately with a spatula to prevent the squid from clumping together.
- Deep-fry the squid until golden brown or crispy.
- Do not over fry.
- Dish out with a strainer or a slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying the squid on a dish lined with paper towels.
- To stir-fry, heat the 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Add the scallion, red chillies and stir quickly.
- Return the fried squid to the skillet and add the salt and white pepper.
- Stir to combine well.
- Serve and enjoy!