How to make Chicken with Tomato Sauce.
This simple Spanish chicken with tomato sauce recipe is a popular homemade dish that uses ingredients most Spaniards have on hand. You can use chicken drumsticks or chicken breasts — really whatever you prefer.
Ingredients: Serves 4 people
- 8 drumsticks you can substitute chicken breasts if you prefer
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes diced (or 2 cans of whole tomatoes, diced)
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and lightly dust with flour.
- Heat a heavy skillet (cast iron or stainless steel is ideal) with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sear the chicken on all sides until golden.
- Add the onion, garlic and pepper and sauté for about one minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Add the diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cover for 10 minutes (or until the chicken is fully cooked).
- Remove the lid and let the sauce reduce over a very low simmer if it’s still too thin.
- Take off the heat and let the dish sit for at least 30 minutes for best flavor.
- Serve with rice or with your favorite potato dish.