How to make Chicken Vesuvio.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2-4
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, 2 to 3 inches in diameter, halved crosswise
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 tsp salt & ½ tsp black pepper combined
- 1 tsp table salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Trim all the skin from the underside of the chicken thighs, but leave the skin on top intact.
- To ensure that all the potatoes fit in the pan, halve them crosswise to minimize their surface area.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450F degrees.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and sprinkle on both sides with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper.
- Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Mince 2 whole garlic cloves, slice the other four garlic cloves and immediately combine separately with lemon juice in small bowl, then set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large roasting pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Place chicken, skin side down in single layer in pan and cook without moving it, until chicken has rendered it’s fat (2 to 3 minutes).
- Place potatoes cut side down in chicken fat, arranging so that cut sides are in complete contact with surface of pan.
- Continue to cook until chicken and potatoes are deeply browned and crisp, 8 to 12 minutes or longer, moving chicken and potatoes to ensure even browning and flipping pieces when fully browned.
- When all pieces have been flipped, sprinkle chicken and potatoes with oregano and thyme and add halved garlic cloves.
- Remove pan from heat and pour wine into pan (do not pour over chicken or potatoes).
- Return pan to heat and bring to boil.
- Transfer pan to oven and roast until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of paring knife and chicken registers 185 to 190 degrees, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and potatoes to deep platter, browned sides up.
- Place pan over medium heat and stir to incorporate any browned bits.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic cloves to cutting board.
- Mash to a smooth paste with side of knife.
- Whisk garlic paste into sauce.
- Continue to cook until sauce coats back of spoon, 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Add lemon juice and minced garlic.
- Add peas.
- Stir well.
- If sauce not thick enough, add a pat of butter and continue to stir on high heat.
- Pour sauce around chicken and potatoes and serve.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]