How to make Chicken Vermicelli.
- 20ml (1 tbs) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbs finely grated ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced
- 1kg mixed chicken pieces, on the bone
- 60ml (1/4 cup) dark soy
- 20ml (1 tbs) ketjap manis*
- 40ml (2 tbs) Shaohsing rice wine
- 2 pieces dried fungus (optional)
- 150g vermicelli noodles
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve Coriander sprigs and slices of fresh red chilli, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the carrot and chicken, coating in the onion mixture.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the dark soy, ketjab manis, Shaohsing rice wine, 1 1/2 cups water and seasonings.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. (Don’t allow the chicken to dry out; add a little more water and soy if necessary).
- Meanwhile, soak the fungus for 10 minutes in 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Drain, then slice fungus into thin strips.
- Soak the vermicelli in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and keep warm.
- Add the fungus to the chicken, then cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with vermicelli noodles and some steamed Asian greens.
- Garnish with the coriander and fresh red chilli.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.