How to make Chicken Puttanesca.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4-6 chicken legs, cut into drumsticks and thighs, leave the skins on
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat of a knife
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, deseeded and cut into strips
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons black olive, stones (you can use green or Kalamata)
- 1 jar (400g) Tomato based pasta sauce
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 2 sprigs of Thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Water (for deglazing)
- Prepare the chicken pieces by seasoning with freshly ground black pepper.
- Set aside.
- In a deep (cast iron) casserole, heat a glug of olive oil and then add garlic and chopped red onion, sautéed in medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes, or until the onion starts to take on a brown colour.
- Add chicken pieces and brown all sides.
- Carefully add a splash of water to the casserole to deglaze, pour in the tomato sauce and once boiled, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add a splash of water if the sauce is getting too thick.
- Add all the other ingredients in the casserole, covered and let it simmer on low heat about 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir once or twice during cooking.
- Once cooked, removed from heat and let it sit, covered for another 10 minutes before serving.
- Ideally, served with basmati or brown rice.
- You can even make it ahead of time, left over tastes even better on the next day!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]