How to make Chicken Cau Cau.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 4 medium-sized potatoes. peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery (use stalks and leaves)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh garlic or garlic paste
- ¼ tablespoon ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs of fresh spearmint, 1 minced and 1 whole
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add the minced hot pepper, turmeric, garlic, and cumin.
- Cook and stir until well combined and cooked through.
- Cut the chicken breast in pieces of about 1 inch.
- Add the chicken to the fried onion and spices in the skillet.
- Stir and sauté until all sides of the chicken meat have turned white.
- Add the chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and the whole sprig of peppermint.
- Turn the heat up and cover with a lid until it starts boiling.
- Then, take the lid off and turn the heat down to medium.
- Cook it for 25 minutes more, until carrots are fully cooked and about 60% of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the peas, salt, white pepper and the remaining (minced) peppermint and stir once more.
- Let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve your delicious Chicken Cau Cau with white rice and enjoy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.