How to make Cheesy Pan Fried Tomatoes.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4-8
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds total), cut across the horizon into 8 slices that are 1/2 inch thick
- Two (5.2-ounce) packages garlic and herb flavoured soft cheese, such as Boursin, at room temperature
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked until crisp, then drained
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- All purpose flour
- Fine sea or table salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned fine dried breadcrumbs
- Place the tomato slices between paper towels for 15 minutes to drain any excess juices.
- Make at least 4 matching pairs of similar size slices.
- Spread a 1/4-inch thick layer of cheese on one side of each tomato slice.
- Crumble the bacon and divide evenly over four of the slices.
- Mate the halves together to make sandwiches.
- Line a platter with a tea towel or paper towel and place it near the stove.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering.
- Set out three shallow bowls.
- In one, whisk together the flour and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- In the next, whisk together the eggs.
- In the third, put the the breadcrumbs.
- Coat both sides of each sandwich first in the seasoned flour, then in the egg and then in the bread crumbs, shaking off any excess bread crumbs, but making sure the sandwiches are well covered.
- Transfer the sandwiches to the skillet and cook them until a golden brown crust forms, 2 to 3 minutes, then carefully turn them over and cook until golden brown on the second side, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- If working in batches, add more oil as needed.
- Transfer to the prepared platter to drain slightly.
- Serve warm and enjoy!