How to make Catalan Fricando.
This recipe contains beef fillets and mushrooms that are smoothered in a rich dark sauce.
Ingredients: Serves 4.
- 8 Beef Fillets.
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced.
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes, diced.
- 250g/ 9oz of Mushrooms, which ever you prefer.
- 1 Tablespoon of Ground Almond.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed.
- 150ml/ 5 floz of White Wine
- 50ml/ 2floz of Water.
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablspoons of Flour for dusting.
- Salt and Pepper.
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh parsley, chopped.
1.Firstly season the fillets with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Put the flour on a small plate, dip each steak into the flour and gently shake to remove the excess. Place after dusting on another plate, and set aside.
3. In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, fry the beef quickly, a few seconds, on each side to seal the flavour. Remove from the pan, and set aside for later.
4. Peel and chop the onion into thin slices.
5. Chop the tomato into small pieces.
6. Heat 1 more tablespoon of olive oil in the same large frying pan.
7. Add the onion and fry over a over low heat until soft.
8. Then add the chopped tomato and garlic, continue cooking over a very low heat for 5 more minutes.
9. Pour the water and wine into the frying pan, with the onion and tomato.
9. Simmer for 10 minutes, over a low heat.
10. Meanwhile, clean and slice the mushrooms.
11. After 10 minutes add the mushrooms to the wine mixture.
12. Season well, with salt and pepper.
13. Add the ground almonds and stir into the mixture.
14. Stir in the beef strips and the fresh chopped parsley.
15. Simmer slowly for 10 minutes.
16. Divide the mixture between 4 serving dishes and serve immediately.