How to make Caramel Éclairs.
(MAKES 10 ÉCLAIRS)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 11 ¼ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon liquid vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup plain (all purpose) flour
- 3 large eggs
Crème caramel (filling):
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup mascarpone
- 1 cup whipping cream (35% fat)
- ½ teaspoon gelatin powder
- 3 teaspoons water
- Pinch of sea salt
Caramel icing (fondant):
- 2 1/3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 ¾ teaspoons glucose (or light corn syrup)
- 2/3 teaspoons semi-salted butter
- 8.5 ounces white fondant (packaged)
- 1 ¼ tablespoons chocolate pearls
- 1 ¼ tablespoons finely grated chocolate
- 1 tablespoon bronze baking dust
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
Choux pastry :
- In a medium saucepan, heat the water, milk, butter, salt, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- When it reaches a boil, remove from heat, pour in the flour and stir vigorously with a spatula until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F
- Using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, emulsify the dough by pouring in the eggs one by one. The mixture should be smooth.
- Pipe 4cm of dough into the oblong éclair shape onto a lined baking sheet, each 2 inches apart.
- Bake the pastry for roughly 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Crème caramel filling:
- Bloom (hydrate) the gelatin in a small ramekin of water for at least five minutes.
- Cook the granulated sugar to a dark brown caramel and deglaze the pan with warmed whipping cream.
- Add the butter and sea salt then let the mixture cool to about 120°F before incorporating the gelatin.
- Slowly pour the caramel mixture, cooled to 112°F, on top of the mascarpone and mix with a hand beater.
- Remove from heat and store (covered in plastic film) in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before assembling.
- Cook the granulated sugar and glucose (or light corn syrup) to a dark caramel and deglaze the pan with warmed whipping cream.
- Cook at 228°F
- Add the salted butter and mix
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Mix the caramel mixture (still warm) with the slightly heated fondant using a spatula.
- Put the chocolate pearls, finely grated chocolate and bronze baking dust in a closed container.
- Shake the contained to uniformly coat the chocolate with the baking dust.
- Spoon the crème caramel filling into a piping bag fitted with a ½ inch nozzle and use the nozzle to poke a small hole into the end of each éclair.
- Fill each éclair with the crème caramel mixture.
- Once filled, dip each éclair into the heated fondant until the coating is smooth and even.
- Sprinkle immediately with the chocolate pearl and bronze dust mixture.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.