How to make a Cajun Shrimp Stew.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced thin
- 1 ½ lbs potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 ½ cups diced bell peppers
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cups shrimp stock or chicken broth
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- fresh parsley, optional for garnish
- First make the roux by adding the vegetable oil and flour in a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thickened and the colour of peanut butter, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, add olive oil with the onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often until softened.
- Add the shrimp or chicken stock to the dutch oven.
- Add the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, thyme and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the potatoes and roux.
- Whisk until the roux is incorporated into the broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often.
- Cook at a low boil, until the potatoes are tender, for about 10 minutes.
- Lower to simmer, stir in the shrimp and smoked sausage, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with parsley if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]