How to make a Butternut Squash Lasagna.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 fresh clove), plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp ground thyme, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of nutmeg
- milk, as needed
- 4-6 ounces fresh spinach approx. 3-4 loosely packed cups
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese
- whole wheat or brown rice lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the exterior of the butternut squash and pat dry.
- Slice in half lengthwise and then slice each half in half (hamburger) to make 4 similar sized pieces.
- Lightly drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 55-65 minutes, or until tender.
- A knife or fork should easily go through.
- Let squash sit until cool enough to touch.
- Using a knife, carefully remove the skin.
- Slice the remaining squash into cubes.
- Place cubes into a blender or food processor and begin blending.
- Add splashes of milk (dairy or plant-based) as needed to help the squash blend more easily.
- Once squash is smooth, add ricotta cheese, garlic and onion powders, thyme, maple syrup, and salt.
- Taste and add additional salt or seasonings as needed.
- Consistency should be smooth and thick, like mashed potatoes.
- Prepare the lasagna noodles.
- For best results, we recommend boiling your noodles before use, no matter if they are traditional or “oven-ready variety”.
- The squash does not offer enough moisture to soften the noodles during baking.
- Spread a nice layer of squash on the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish; sprinkle lightly with cheese.
- Lay prepared noodles evenly on top, without overlap.
- Cover noodles with a thick layer of spinach.
- Sprinkle with cheese and garlic powder.
- Lay the next layer of noodles on top of the spinach.
- Continue this layering twice.
- For your top layer, spread another layer of squash and garnish with cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]