How to make Butternut Squash Carbonara with Bacon.
This is a gorgeous, creamy and comforting pasta dish. You can even make the sauce ahead of time for an even easier meal.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 12 oz. fettucine or linguine
- 4 strips of peppercorn bacon or regular bacon, chopped
- 1 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino, plus shaved for serving
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped plus more for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside.
- Add butternut squash, onion, and garlic to skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 8–10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until squash is soft and liquid is reduced by half, 15–20 minutes.
- Let it cool slightly, then purée in a blender until smooth.
- Stir in the maple syrup and nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the sauce to the skillet and keep warm.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Combine the pasta, butternut squash purée, and 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid in the skillet and cook over medium heat, tossing and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the grated Pecorino and parsley.
- Adjust season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve pasta topped with reserved bacon, shaved Pecorino and chopped parsley.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.