How to make Bubble and Squeak with Poached Egg.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 200g swede, peeled and diced
- 200g carrots, peeled and diced
- 200g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 200g cabbage, shredded
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 4 eggs optional
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Layer the root vegetables in a steamer – swede on the bottom, carrots next, potatoes on top.
- Steam them over boiling water for 10 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- If you don’t have a steamer, boil the vegetables until tender, then drain them really well.
- Season the vegetables and then mash.
- You don’t want the mixture to be too smooth, so don’t be too vigorous about it.
- Put the cabbage in a saucepan with a couple of centimetres of just-boiled water and simmer it for a few minutes until tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onion until it is translucent and taking on a little colour.
- Tip the onion into the mash, along with the cabbage, and stir.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting.
- Pile all the mixture into the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for several minutes until you see that it is browning around the edges.
- Put the pan under the grill until the top has crisped up a bit and is a good deep brown.
- Half fill a medium non-stick saucepan with water, add a teaspoon of vinegar and bring it to the boil.
- Place the eggs, still in their shells, into the boiling water for exactly 20 seconds – this helps the whites stay together.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and turn the heat down so the water is simmering gently.
- Crack the eggs into the water and cook for 3 minutes.
- The water should be gently bubbling and the eggs will rise to the surface when they are nearly ready.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon, drain briefly and place an egg on top of each helping of bubble and squeak.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.