How to make a Brown Stew Chicken.
Ingredients: Serves 4
For The Marinade:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (6-8 thighs)
- 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (diced and seeded or 1 diced seeded Habanero pepper)
- 2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic (4-6 garlic cloves minced)
- 2 tablespoon green onions (chopped, 1-2 green onions)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (fresh, packaged or dry)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
For The Stew:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (about 1 ½-2 cups diced)
- 3 large carrots (washed and sliced)
- ½ green bell pepper (chopped or sliced)
- ½ red bell pepper (chopped or sliced)
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (canned, drained)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Remove chicken from packaging, rinse under cool water and pat the chicken completely dry with paper towels.
- Set aside.
- Mince the garlic, slice the green onions, and seed and dice the scotch bonnet pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl add dark brown sugar, scotch bonnet, salt, green onion, ginger, thyme, apple cider vinegar, browning sauce, pepper, and allspice.
- Combine all ingredients, add in chicken thighs, using tongs or a gloved hand rub the marinade into the chicken meat.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- With tongs remove the chicken from the marinade, shake off or scrape any excess marinade from the chicken pieces and set them aside for later.
- Reserve the marinade as you will add all of it to the stew.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add olive oil, then bring to medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides, or about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside on a clean plate.
- In the same pot at medium high heat, add in the onion, stir for a couple minutes until onion turns brown.
- Add the carrots and bell peppers, stir to combine.
- Then add in the tomatoes, stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the pot, chicken pieces, bay leaves, and the reserved marinade.
- Scrape the bottom of your pot to get up all the bits.
- Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce heat to get a very low boil/simmer.
- Cook uncovered for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- When the stew has reduced to your satisfaction, serve over rice and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]