How to make a Brown Rice Paella.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
Saffron Stock Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon saffron threads
Chorizo and Rice Ingredients:
- 2 Spanish chorizos, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
Smoked Paprika Chicken Mixture Ingredients:
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced thin
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 lb chicken breasts, poached and shredded
Paella Stir-In Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced piquillo peppers
- Make the saffron stock by bringing the chicken stock and tomato paste to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add saffron threads and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While your stock is simmering, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced chorizo and cook until browned and fat has rendered, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove chorizo to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Pour out most of the fat in the skillet, leaving only about 2-3 teaspoons in the pan.
- Add the rice, and stir to coat in the fat.
- Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- By this time your saffron stock should be ready.
- Get a fine-mesh strainer and hold it over the skillet of rice while you pour the saffron stock through the strainer.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover the rice, lower the heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes or until done.
- While the rice is cooking, get everything ready to make the smoked paprika chicken mixture.
- Slice your peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add vegetables and cook for 10-12 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, ketchup, smoked spanish paprika, and chicken stock to a blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet with the peppers and onions, and cook until the sauce thickens, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Lower heat to low to keep warm.
- Measure out the peas, drain the olives, slice the piquillos and set aside.
- When your rice is finished cooking, add half of the smoked paprika chicken mixture to the rice.
- Add the chorizo back to the pan.
- Stir together to combine.
- Add the Stir-In Ingredients and stir together to combine.
- Cover to let everything warm together for a few minutes.
- Then serve and enjoy!