How to make Braised Steak in Rich Gravy.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 4 braising steaks
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1⁄2 mustard powder
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Season the steaks well, heat a tbsp of oil in a large pan, and fry the steaks for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Return the pan to the hob, and gently fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes to soften, then transfer to the casserole dish.
- Pour over the stock, add the tomato puree and herbs, then bring to a boil before covering and popping in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour and mustard with a little water, and stir into the casserole before checking the seasoning.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, uncover, and heat on the hob for a few minutes to thicken the gravy and reduce.
- Transfer the steaks to warmed plates, spoon over the gravy, and serve with chunky chips.