How to make Braised Ossobuco with Gremolata.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 pieces of Galician ossobuco beef shanks
- Plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 500ml rioja red wine
- 1ltr beef stock
- For the Gremolata:
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- Place a heavy-based casserole dish over a high heat and add a splash of oil. Dust the pieces of beef in seasoned flour and fry until nicely browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down and add another dash of oil with the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Season with salt and cook until softened.
- Add the rosemary, bay leaf and tomato purée and stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan and pour in the wine. Reduce by a third then add the hot stock. Simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- To make the gremolata, finely chop the parsley and place in a bowl. Add the garlic and lemon zest and mix together.
- To serve, sprinkle the gremolata over the ossobuco. This dish is traditionally eaten with saffron rice, but you could also have it with creamy mashed potatoes or crusty bread. Don’t forget to scoop out the delicious, rich marrow from the holes of the bones!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.