How to make Boston Baked Beans.
Ingredients to serve 8 people:
- 450g dried haricot beans
- 2 onions, peeled and very finely diced
- 4 thick streaky bacon rashers (finely chopped)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons molasses (or black treacle)
- 75g brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons dry English mustard powder (or 1 tablespoon ready-made Dijon mustard)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 150mls water
Put the beans into a large bowl and cover with water to at least 4″/10cms above them, and soak overnight.
Next day, put them into a large saucepan with fresh water and boil them for 10 minutes.
Drain them well and spoon them into the crock pot/slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with a wooded spoon.
Put the lid on the crock pot/slow cooker and set the temperature for low and cook for 8 hours until the beans are soft.
You can start the beans off on high to cut back on the cooking time – cook on high for 3 hours and then on low for 3 hours.
Serve the beans as an accompaniment to ribs, beef, bacon, ham or on toast for a hearty snack or light lunch.