How to make a Beef and Onion Stir Fry.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
FOR THE BEEF & MARINADE:
- 1 pound flank steak (thinly sliced against the grain)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon oil (any neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola)
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
FOR THE REST OF THE DISH:
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 ounces small onions (sliced into wedges; about 3 small onions)
- In a medium bowl, add the flank steak, baking soda, cornstarch, oil, oyster sauce, and water.
- Mix until the liquid has been absorbed, and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, ketchup, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and water.
- Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat until smoking.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and spread the beef in the wok in a single layer.
- Sear the meat, undisturbed, for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until browned.
- Stir fry for an additional 15-30 seconds, until about 75% cooked.
- Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the wok, along with the onions.
- Stir-fry until the onions are seared and slightly blistered, for about 60-90 seconds.
- Remove from the wok.
- Add the prepared sauce to the wok, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 seconds and then stir in the beef and onions for another 30 seconds.
- Serve over rice.