How to make a Beef, Beer and Chestnut Pie.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 450g/1lb lean boneless beef shin, cut into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 45ml/3tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g/4oz vacuum packed whole peeled chestnuts, halved
- 300ml/½ pint stout
- 150ml/¼ pint good, hot beef stock
- 5ml/1tsp brown sugar
- 5ml/1tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 bay leaf
For the pie topping:
- 450g pack prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place the seasoned flour and seasoning into a large plastic food bag.
- Add the beef in batches and shake to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the beef in stages for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides.
- Spoon into a 1.2L/2 pt ovenproof casserole dish suitable for the hob and oven.
- In the same frying pan fry the onions and chestnuts for 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon into the casserole dish with the beef.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, turn up the heat and boil, then cover, turn down the heat and cook on the hob or in a pre-heated oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F for 1½hours.
- Remove the casserole from the hob or oven and turn up the oven to Gas mark 5, 190ºC, 350ºF.
- Remove the bay leaf and spoon into a 1.2L/2 pint ovenproof pie dish.
- For the topping, roll out the pastry in a large square on a lightly floured surface to about the thickness of a pound coin.
- Cut the pastry lids large enough to cover the dish.
- Spoon the filling into the casserole dish, dampen the edges with water and cover the top with a pastry lid.
- Cut a small slit on top of the pastry for the steam to escape.
- Put the pie on a baking tray then brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
- Serve the pies with creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]