How to make a Bean and Bacon Soup.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 10 oz smoked bacon (about 9 – 10 slices), diced in small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 5 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- 3 (15 oz) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded mozzarella or string cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large enameled cast iron pot until browned and crisp, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels, while leaving 2 Tbsp rendered bacon drippings in pan.
- Heat drippings over medium-high heat and add onions, carrots and celery.
- Saute 4 minutes then add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer.
- Add in chicken broth, tomato paste, sugar, thyme and beans.
- Stir in 3/4 of the cooked bacon, while reserving remainder in a small resealable bag in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer 2 1/2 cups of the soup to a blender, cover with lid (while removing lids center insert and holding a folded kitchen towel over blender) blend until smooth.
- Stir pureed mixture back into soup.
- Serve warm topped with shredded cheese and parsley.
- Thin soup with more broth or water if desired.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]